As electricians, it is our duty to ensure that the homes we work on are safe and secure for their residents. One way to improve the safety of a residential property is to install an arc fault detection device (AFDD).
An AFDD is a relatively new technology that is designed to detect electrical arcs, which are the luminous discharges of electricity that can occur when electrical connections are not secure or when wires are damaged. These arcs can cause fires, and AFDDs are designed to detect them and cut off the electricity before a fire can start.
Here are some of the benefits of fitting AFDDs in domestic dwellings:
- Increased Safety
- The main benefit of fitting an AFDD in a domestic dwelling is increased safety. AFDDs are designed to detect electrical arcs that could start a fire, and by cutting off the electricity before a fire can start, they greatly reduce the risk of fire in the home. This can give homeowners peace of mind, knowing that they are protected from potential electrical fires.
- Improved Electrical System Performance
- AFDDs can also help to improve the performance of the electrical system in a home. They can detect faults in the system that might not be immediately apparent, which can help to prevent damage to electrical components and extend the life of the electrical system. This can save homeowners money in the long run by reducing the need for repairs or replacements.
- Compliance with Electrical Safety Standards
- In some countries, including the United Kingdom, it is a legal requirement to install AFDDs in certain situations. For example, new builds in the UK must be fitted with AFDDs in accordance with the 18th Edition Wiring Regulations. By fitting AFDDs in domestic dwellings, electricians can ensure that the homes they work on are compliant with electrical safety standards.
- Improved Energy Efficiency
- AFDDs can also help to improve energy efficiency in a home. They can detect faults in the electrical system that might be causing energy wastage, such as loose connections or damaged wiring. By identifying and repairing these faults, homeowners can reduce their energy consumption and save money on their electricity bills.
In conclusion, installing AFDDs in domestic dwellings can greatly improve the safety, performance, compliance, and energy efficiency of the electrical systems in those homes. As electricians, it is our responsibility to promote and encourage the use of these devices to keep our clients safe and secure. If you are a homeowner, consider contacting your electrician to learn more about installing an AFDD in your home.
AFDD are great we’ve only recently seen these come into the industry. After the horrific events of the Grenfell tower in which an appliance went faulty through Arcing and caused the fire.
I think this poduct will save lives it’s one of those you don’t need it until you need it and when you need it you really need it.
As an Electrician I find the arc fault detection absolutely fantastic it’s the one area that we haven’t really updated with the current fuse board until now. For extra protection it allows a system of your consumer unit or fuse board to monitor what is going on and if an appliance does go faulty it will automatically switch off.
The green light will flash to tell you the fault.
This is great for customers to see what’s going on.
The cost of the AFDD is high at the moment but will come down in over time. Ihave fitted one at my home to keep me and my family a little safer.
Please feel free to get in touch for free advice at Day and Knight with me Dave.